Tuesday, May 13, 2008
And we're off...
This morning we planted. I woke up early, around 5:30 to make sure Elder son got up for school. While I was waiting for him to get out of the shower I started to make a wish list for the house and our new direction. I spent a few minutes searching for a local soil farm where i could get a nice healthy mix for the vegetable beds when the thought struck me... what in the world am i doing buying dirt? did wang lung have to buy dirt? heavens no! years ago, when i was young enough to believe i could single handedly save the world with my greenpeace bumpersticker, i had a small compost pile right where i was now planning to put the raised beds. 20 minutes later the beds were filled with fresh, loamy soil that was free and the seeds and sprouted plants were sitting happily... can veggie plants be happy? in their new boxes. Middle son and Girlchild planted cucumber, tomatoe, lettuce, corn, radishes and watermelon. there's one more bed to plant and we intend to fill that one with broccoli, okra and artichokes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment